The prime purpose of sports massage therapy is to help alleviate the stress and tension which builds up in the body’s soft tissues during physical activity. It can help prevent those niggling injuries that so often get in the way of performance, sporting activity or day-to-day life.
This treatment is not just for the sports person, Anyone can benefit from sports massage, including people in physically demanding jobs and those with not quite so obvious injuries caused when occupational, emotional and postural stress produces many similar characteristics to sports injuries.
Sports massage tends to be deeper and more intense. It uses a combination of techniques involving stretching, compression, friction, toning, and trigger point response techniques.
- Relieves muscle tension and promotes the relaxation of muscles
- Improves flexibility and the range of movement available at a joint
- Improves blood flow to the area which helps in the removal of post-exercise waste products, such as lactic acid
- Reduces swelling
- Promotes healing
- Reduces and relieves pain
- Mentally relaxing
- Reduces tension and anxiety
- Reduces the sensation of pain
- Prepares the athlete for competition/challenges